Check out these staff created lists of recommended books for children 0-5 years.
Tips for selecting books by age
Choosing books for babies and toddlers:
- Books with repetition of sounds and words. Books that say a lot with simple language.
- Books that illustrate the primary things in your child’s life.
- Books that are just the right size for small hands.
- Books of nursery rhymes, lullabies and songs.
- Books that are sturdy and will stand up to being chewed, pounded or covered in mushed banana.
- Books with simple, uncluttered illustrations of familiar shapes.
- Books that have physical “tricks” such as finger holes, opening doors and peek holes to encourage interaction and involvement.
- Wordless books that stimulate babies and toddlers visually and mentally and encourage them to create their own stories.
- Books in various formats such as board books, cloth books, small chunky books and plastic “bath” books.
Choosing books for preschoolers
- Books that reflect the everyday world familiar to children, such as playing with friends, visiting family and going to sleep.
- Books that encourage children to play with words and phrases.
- Books that both you and your child can enjoy.
- Books with simple, repetitive text that encourages children to join in during read alouds.
- Books that present extraordinary as well as ordinary situations.
- Books that will stretch a child’s attention span and build vocabulary.
- Books that confirm and expand a child’s view of the world.
- Books of poetry and verse.
- Theme-related reading to enhance experiences and events.
- Large-format books for reading to groups of children.
For more information check out these resources:
Tools for book selection
Tools for finding books by age