Check out these staff created lists of recommended books for children 0-5 years.
Great books for preschoolers (March 2020) Great books for preschoolers (August 2019)
Great books for toddlers (March 2020) Great books for toddlers (August 2019)
Great books for babies (March 2020) Great books for babies (August 2019)
Tips for selecting books by age
Choosing books for babies and toddlers:
- Books with repetition of sounds and words. Books that say a lot with simple language.
- Books that illustrate the primary things in your child’s life.
- Books that are just the right size for small hands.
- Books of nursery rhymes, lullabies and songs.
- Books that are sturdy and will stand up to being chewed, pounded or covered in mushed banana.
- Books with simple, uncluttered illustrations of familiar shapes.
- Books that have physical “tricks” such as finger holes, opening doors and peek holes to encourage interaction and involvement.
- Wordless books that stimulate babies and toddlers visually and mentally and encourage them to create their own stories.
- Books in various formats such as board books, cloth books, small chunky books and plastic “bath” books.
Choosing books for preschoolers
- Books that reflect the everyday world familiar to children, such as playing with friends, visiting family and going to sleep.
- Books that encourage children to play with words and phrases.
- Books that both you and your child can enjoy.
- Books with simple, repetitive text that encourages children to join in during read alouds.
- Books that present extraordinary as well as ordinary situations.
- Books that will stretch a child’s attention span and build vocabulary.
- Books that confirm and expand a child’s view of the world.
- Books of poetry and verse.
- Theme-related reading to enhance experiences and events.
- Large-format books for reading to groups of children.
For more information check out these resources:
Tools for book selection
Tools for finding books by age